Some random ramblings for a Friday afternoon
It has been a great week in the big city so I thought I would wrap it up with some random thoughts. I am writing this post today from one of my favorite offices: a Starbucks near the Lincoln Center which is just west of the southwest corner of Central Park.
This is one of my favorite neighborhoods as there are many great places to get some work done. Some reasons why:
|My office at a Starbucks (63rd and Broadway)|
- There are 5 of the better starbucks in the city within a 10 block radius. While I am not a fan of the starbucks unhealthy coffee (shameless plug) I am a big fan of their many, many great locations and most importantly their late hours and free wi-fi. Plus I can always order a hot tea and ask for the tea separate (then I put my own healthy tea or coffee in the cup).
- Central Park (my largest office in the city) is only a couple blocks away. This is great place to make some phone calls, film one of my quick video presentations, or just take a break and go for a walk.
- Right across the street from the Lincoln Center is my favorite Barnes and Noble in the city. This one has 4 levels with a cafeteria on the top floor with great views of the city while you work.
- The Lincoln Center courtyard is very relaxing place and when the weather is nice I will just work there (they have free wi-fi there too). Last week I was pleasantly interrupted by some live music at one of their outdoor stages. A definite perk!
- I just don't go to the big chain stores as this area is a close walk to a few of my favorite local coffee shops on the upper west side (north of where I am at) and in Hell's Kitchen (just south). I'll write separate posts about these areas one of these days as they are two of my favorite neighborhoods in Manhattan.
The school that I feel really bad for is Hawaii as they are now left as the only decent team in what is a terrible conference (some of my best friends are Hawaii alums). Hawaii's Athletic Director said it best "It was like going in for a touchdown and then throw an interception and the other team returns it for a touchdown". This is the nasty part about the business of college athletics right now. It is my bet that Hawaii will come out of this mess stronger than ever (maybe even go independent themselves). Great recap from the Hawaii perspective in this article from the Honolulu Star Adviser - The Mountain West pulls another fast one on the WAC.
I would hate to lose BYU as they bring a lot of national attention to the conference but their actions these last couple days are truly disgusting. You would think that a church based school would.... okay I better not finish that last sentence! The funny thing is that it was the Colorado State Football twitter account that exposed their entire scheme. CSU claims the account was hacked and the tweets didn't come from the school. Either way, twitter might of saved the future of the Mountain West Conference.
There was a lot of promise with this team but it looks to be about over. The back of the lineup is a huge reason why this season has gone south.
On the bright side the Broncos or Rams haven't lost a game yet!!! Ahh, the beauty of blind faith before the season starts!